Selling Health Insurance Across State Lines––A Really Dumb Idea
Any candidate that suggests such a scheme only shows how unsophisticated he and his advisers are when it comes to understanding how the insurance markets really work––or could work. I gave a speech to 750 health insurance brokers and consultants in DC last week. When selling health insurance across state lines, something Trump and a number of other Republican presidential candidates have
John Kasich's Ohio Health Care Record: Making Lemons Into Lemonade
It's easy to be critical of Obamacare. But from the time The Affordable Care Act was passed until a new President and Congress have a chance to change things in 2017, America's governors haven't had the luxury of just complaining about it. They have had to govern. Governor Kasich and his team have made big health care change a reality by collaborating with the key stakeholders in Ohio. On that
Obamacare Hits 12.7 Million Enrollments––But Only Grows 8.5%
Today the administration announced that 12.7 million people signed up for coverage in the Affordable Care Act's insurance exchanges. Said the HealthCare.gov CEO, "We knocked the lights out this year. We did a great job." Let's take a closer look. In 2015, the exchange enrollment totaled 11.7 million. By year-end 2015, that had shrunk to 9.1 million––a 22% decrease. The administration has said
- Feb 01, 2016 Why the Obamacare 2016 Open Enrollment Stalled: The Big Unwritten Story About Obamacare––How Unaffordable It Is For the Working and Middle Class
- Jan 05, 2016 2016 Obamacare Outlook
- Nov 19, 2015 UnitedHealth Group Losing Big Money and Threatening to Leave the Obamacare Exchanges--Because the Obamacare Insurance Business Model Does Not Work
- Oct 26, 2015 Crocodile Tears Over the Failing Obamacare Co-Ops--The Canaries in the Obamacare Coal Mine
- Oct 18, 2015 Flat Enrollment Estimates For 2016--Has the Obama Administration Given Up on Obamacare?
- Oct 14, 2015 Ohio Governor John Kasich's Medicaid Expansion: Successful Governance is Very Hard Work
- Aug 17, 2015 Has Obamacare Really Reduced The Uninsured By 16 Million And Continued To Show Strong Growth?
- Jul 27, 2015 Health Insurer Merger Mania -- Muscle-Bound Competitors And A New Cold War In Health Care
- Jul 21, 2015 California Senate Votes To Open Up Obamacare To 2.5 Million Illegal Residents
- Jul 07, 2015 Could Humana Grovel Any More To Get the Aetna-Humana Merger Approved By the Obama Administration?
- Jun 29, 2015 Why The Affordable Care Act Isn't 'Here to Stay'--In One Picture
- Jun 25, 2015 The King V. Burwell Decision
- Jun 18, 2015 The Republican Proposals to Extend the Obamacare Subsidies If the Supreme Court Ends Them Would Create a Huge Market Mess
- Jun 10, 2015 Why Are the Proposed 2016 Obamacare Rate Increases So Large?
- Jun 01, 2015 The Eye Popping 2016 Obamacare Rate Increases Are Out
- May 31, 2015 The Columbia School of Journalism Review: "Why We Need Stronger Coverage of Covered California"
- Apr 27, 2015 Republicans Would Extend Obamacare Subsidies If the Supreme Court Strikes Down State Exchange Payments––But With Lots of Conditions
- Apr 21, 2015 $1 billion in Federal Tax Dollars and a One Star Rating on Yelp––Quite an Expose––Behind the Scenes at Covered California
- Apr 02, 2015 Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker's Medicaid Policy––and Now His Position Not to Save Insurance Subsidies if the Supreme Court Strikes Them Down––Says a Lot About How He Would Govern as President
- Mar 26, 2015 Headline: "Exchanges Struggle to Enroll Consumers As Income Increases" It's Because of the Obamacare Dichotomy
- Mar 25, 2015 The New York Times: Has Obamacare Enrollment Stalled?
- Mar 05, 2015 The Obamacare Supreme Court Subsidy Challenge––Surprising Comments From Anthony Kennedy and Maybe a Way Out for John Roberts
- Mar 02, 2015 Republicans: "We Have a Plan For Fixing Health Care" If the Supreme Court Eliminates Subsidies in as Many as 37 States––It Won't Be So Simple
- Feb 18, 2015 Obamacare is "Working Better Than Expected"––Judge for Yourself
- Feb 11, 2015 A Detailed Analysis of the Republican Alternative to Obamacare