One Triplex Per Block
Here's an op-ed for The Seattle Times. It was inspired by an off-hand remark from a successful candidate for a district election to the Seattle City Council. But I think the idea could have very widespread utility. It is practical, achievable and has significant impact by incremental change. http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/add-housing-by-allowing-one-triplex-per-city-block/
More about North Seattle College (NSC) and potential for housing
A Bridge to Somewhere A Triple Bottom Line for "The Next Seattle" The City of Seattle cannot create more land. But it can, with other institutions, create more building sites to meet its housing needs. It can seek out “discovered spaces” and encourage "found opportunities" such as air rights on the parking lots at North Seattle College... More here in this little Discussion Starter to stimulate thinking about the potential at NSC.
If you want more housing, give neighbors a stake in growth
I've been pondering the ideas in my earlier post If you truly believe that neighbors should have a decisive role in what gets built... And I made one mistake: I didn't frame the proposal as an answer to the question "Why do so many people hate growth and change in their neighborhood?" The answer is of course fairly simple: people resist change (in terms of specific new construction in their own immediate neighborhood) because they don't feel that they have...
- Apr 21, 2015 More about North Seattle College (NSC) and potential for housing
- Apr 12, 2015 If you want more housing, give neighbors a stake in growth
- Apr 11, 2015 If you truly believe that neighbors should have a decisive role in what gets built...
- Nov 03, 2014 Is Google's Larry Page serious?
- Oct 09, 2014 Where is the Zappo's Factory Store in Downtown LV?
- Sep 17, 2014 "School Zone" signs must be visible to be effective
- Sep 16, 2014 "Low Impact Development" is important
- Sep 15, 2014 Needed: Soccer 101 live commentary — for dummies
- Sep 10, 2014 (Seattle) Northgate Pedestrian Bike Bridge
- Jul 30, 2014 "Solution" to affordable housing crisis is dramatically improve public transportation
- Jun 16, 2014 Northgate Pedestrian/Bike Bridge - safety & personal security
- Feb 04, 2014 Sullivan on Clinton's Weakness
- Jan 27, 2014 More shoes to drop on Seattle Tunnel
- Jan 15, 2014 Maybe a McDonald's in Queens is, in fact, a Third Place
- Jan 01, 2014 "We need to talk about TED" — I guess
- Jan 01, 2014 Banning the private driverless car...
- Dec 18, 2013 Supplementary power source for bicycle
- Dec 18, 2013 "City Comforts" on the list!
- Dec 15, 2013 Call Airbus
- Dec 09, 2013 Update on my gripe about how to update old Apps
- Dec 05, 2013 How to increase use of Gogo Inflight Internet? Allow Google maps to be used by passengers.
- Nov 25, 2013 Nalli, R.I.P.
- Nov 25, 2013 Sidenote on my Netflix post: Not so good with Apple & Amazon
- Nov 24, 2013 You want extraordinary customer service? Try Netflix.
- Nov 23, 2013 KING 5's Linda Brill Interviews Kshama Sawant | Slog