This blog is sponsored by the ACLU’s Michigan affiliate. One of its most captivating features is the “Your Weekly Rights Review,” a weekly summation of current civil liberties topics and developments in the Michigan region. The affiliate is very active in the courts and, for example, has presented vehement arguments in federal courts challenging the constitutionality of Michigan law requiring that juveniles that commit certain crimes receive mandatory sentences of life without possibility for parole.
Democracy Watch: Bankruptcy Pivot Point
Curt Guyette, Investigative Reporter Share this on Facebook | Tweet This Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr sat on the witness stand last Thursday, trying to convince U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Stephen Rhodes that he’d bargained hard to get a good deal for the city, and had been prepared to file a lawsuit against two banks if they didn’t bend to his will. And bend they did, he said.
Marriage Matters: We're not buying "just doing my job"
Kary Moss, Executive Director Share this on Facebook | Tweet This I’ve been fielding questions about Judge Bernard Friedman’s historic ruling recognizing that allowing same-sex couples to marry is a matter of fundamental freedoms, economic security and family values.
Democracy Watch | Operation: Takeover
Curt Guyette, Investigative Reporter Share this on Facebook | Tweet This Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr stood behind a lectern in a ballroom on the University of Michigan’s campus, telling an attentive crowd how the civic-minded values absorbed here at his alma mater helped lead to a job that, when first offered, he wanted no part of. His initial response wasn’t just no, but an emphatic “Hell no.”
- Mar 26, 2014 Marriage Matters: Take Action to Support Marriage Equality
- Mar 24, 2014 Marriage Matters: A Day of Weddings
- Mar 18, 2014 Justice for Kosgar: Confessions of an Innocent Mind
- Mar 11, 2014 Marriage Matters: Drawing a Roadmap for Marriage Nationwide
- Mar 07, 2014 Marriage Matters: Witnesses for (and against) Equality
- Mar 06, 2014 The Legal Angle: What does it mean to depose a witness?
- Mar 05, 2014 Marriage Matters: Deep Statistics in Week Two of the DeBoer Trial
- Mar 05, 2014 Democracy Watch: Charting New Ground in Flint
- Mar 03, 2014 Marriage Matters: Will Michigan be the latest to hold same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional?
- Feb 28, 2014 Marriage Matters: An everyday moment with two moms
- Feb 27, 2014 Marriage Matters: The First Days of the DeBoer Trial
- Feb 26, 2014 Racial Justice: Justice Delayed in Milton Hall Shooting
- Feb 25, 2014 Democracy Watch: Detroit’s Big Maybe