Should medical school have a language requirement?
Over the past eight months, I’ve rotated at the Palo Alto VA, Santa Clara Kaiser, Stanford outpatient family medicine, and pediatrics clinics, and most recently, at Santa Clara Valley. At the VA and Kaiser, all my patients spoke English. Occasionally, at Stanford’s outpatient sites, our patients spoke a language other than English; however, this never […]
How filmmaking made me a better science communicator
One of my favorite shows to watch as a kid was Bill Nye the Science Guy. I fondly recall being glued to the television as Bill enthusiastically explained the mysterious wonders of the universe with all of his props, gizmos, and gadgets. Unlike science teachers at school, whose seemingly endless lectures bored me, Bill Nye’s […]
5 reasons why physicians fail as leaders
Most physicians are smart and very talented. They’re skilled clinicians and technically superb. But despite such abilities, they fail to get others to follow them, once they take on the role of leader. As a consequence, they’re unable to get physicians to change or improve performance. Jay Conger, a professor of business at Claremont McKenna […]
- Feb 28, 2016 What health care leaders can learn from Yahoo’s failure
- Feb 28, 2016 Surgeons are human, not superhuman: The agenda behind the FIRST trial
- Feb 28, 2016 Ignore Martin Shkreli. Focus on drug prices instead.
- Feb 27, 2016 Don’t deny access for vaccine skeptics. Here’s why.
- Feb 27, 2016 Doctors should define who they are
- Feb 27, 2016 Reduce physician burnout with meditation and mindfulness
- Feb 27, 2016 MKSAP: 42-year-old woman with palpitations
- Feb 26, 2016 A doctor shares the secrets of cancer survivors
- Feb 26, 2016 A story of how one physician overcame burnout. He is not alone.
- Feb 26, 2016 This doctor never gave up. And look where he is today.
- Feb 26, 2016 The medical subplots of 2016’s Oscar-nominated films
- Feb 26, 2016 No textbook can teach doctors the stages of grief
- Feb 25, 2016 Fix high-deductible health insurance. But it won’t be easy.
- Feb 25, 2016 This inspiring doctor proved Zika virus doubters wrong
- Feb 25, 2016 The stories have gone from medicine and that’s a shame
- Feb 25, 2016 4 questions every woman should ask about heart disease
- Feb 24, 2016 Stop the mental health questions on physician job applications
- Feb 24, 2016 Know these stroke symptoms and spread the word
- Feb 24, 2016 An oncologist reflects on his inpatient internal medicine service
- Feb 24, 2016 Helpful tips for your first day at a new hospital
- Feb 24, 2016 Am I a health care business metric or a physician?
- Feb 24, 2016 Justice Scalia: Why didn’t they perform an autopsy?
- Feb 23, 2016 Should you have a precolonoscopy visit? The answers may surprise you.
- Feb 23, 2016 10 simple facts about Zika virus
- Feb 23, 2016 Why daughters need their fathers