Change Your Swimming in Three Minutes, Part Two: Visualize!
In my previous installment in this three part series Change Your Swimming in Three Minutes I suggested setting aside three minutes at the beginning of practice-in most cases before you enter the pool–to calm and focus your mind. To recap, the first-stage exercise included: Nose breathing. Mouth breathing stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, which activates when we’re […]
The post Change Your Swimming in Three Minutes, Part Two: Visualize! appeared first on Swim For Life.
Michael Phelps Redux
Yesterday’s news included an item that quickened the pulses of quite a few swim fans–and probably USA Swimming honcho’s too. Michael Phelps is returning to competitive swimming. Mind you, there was no mention of Rio 2016, only that he ‘ll race at an Arena Grand Prix meet in Mesa Arizona next week. In the article Phelps […]
The post Michael Phelps Redux appeared first on Swim For Life.
Fifty Years of Swimming Lessons
To celebrate my 63rd birthday (today) and 50 years in swimming (I first joined a team at age 13 in 1964) I’ve decided to devote a series of posts to reflecting on what I’ve learned about swimming along the way. Like many people, I started out ignorant of what lay ahead—and indeed ignorant about most […]
The post Fifty Years of Swimming Lessons appeared first on Swim For Life.
- Apr 16, 2014 Michael Phelps Redux
- Apr 09, 2014 Focus: Always a Work in Progress
- Apr 03, 2014 Change Your Swimming in Three Minutes
- Mar 31, 2014 Listen Up: Podcast on Efficiency in Triathlon
- Mar 25, 2014 Fifty Years of Swimming Lessons
- Mar 16, 2014 Which Kick is Best for YOU? 2-Beat or 6-Beat
- Mar 05, 2014 From Focal Point to Muscle Memory: Part One
- Feb 26, 2014 ‘Moneyball’ Swimming: Learn to Analyze Your Training
- Feb 23, 2014 The (Re-) Education of a Competitive Swimmer
- Feb 16, 2014 Lessons in Mastery from Mikaela Shiffrin
- Feb 15, 2014 The Evolutionary Instinct to Efficiency
- Feb 07, 2014 T.I. (‘Tee-Aye’) Chi
- Feb 01, 2014 Why I Count Strokes the Conscious (‘Hard’) Way
- Jan 22, 2014 I Don’t Want to Become a Stiff, Sore Old Person
- Jan 16, 2014 Meditation, Marines, and Mindful Swimming
- Dec 20, 2013 A Splash-Free Life?