Sometimes, winter weather is so bad that conditions stop people from cycling, driving and even walking...
-5 C where we live (gr is short for"degrees" in Dutch). We are warnedof an extreme risk of black ice. December was extremely mild. In fact, December 2015 was the warmest ever recorded, with no frost at all. The warm weather continued into New Year's Day, when we went for a very pleasant ride through the countryside, but by the 3rd of January everything had changed. Part way through my ride, I
I've been very busy with other work lately so blog updates have had to take a back seat for a couple of months. Over the last few days I've taken a few photos of people in Assen, out and about, enjoying the traditional pre-Christmas activity of spending money. Daytime There was a continuous stream of people cycling past this spot yesterday. All ages, all demographics. All ages, all
Good quality cycle-paths provide efficient cycling conditions from city to countryside and back again
In the last few months I've been busy with other work so have not had a chance to make so many updates on the blog as usual. However, we've still been cycling a lot. In this post you'll find videos showing efficient cycling routes from Assen out into the countryside This video shows part of one of the routes which I often ride, starting from home and going out in the countryside before
- Aug 29, 2015 Deventer: An efficient route for cycling in a city which has much to offer.
- Aug 17, 2015 The most dangerous junctions in Assen and other Dutch cities. What makes junctions dangerous ? What can we do to address that danger ?
- Aug 03, 2015 A day at the races: Motor racing has no effect on cycling in the Netherlands. Nor does everyday driving. That's why people cycle.
- Jul 16, 2015 Notes on a City. How problems which could be seen 40 years ago have not been solved and how an obvious solution was overlooked
- Jul 06, 2015 A "Pinch-Point" design which slows cars without "pinching" bikes
- Jun 29, 2015 Study Tour round-up (June 2015 with Cambridge Cycling Campaign)
- Jun 12, 2015 The Slow-Turbo Roundabout. A promising new Dutch roundabout design and why you should NOT copy it
- Jun 03, 2015 Safe cycle priority road crossings
- May 29, 2015 A car crash so quiet that we didn't know it had happened
- May 18, 2015 How much do the Dutch really cycle ? How is it is measured ? Which are really the top ten cycling cities of the world ?
- May 01, 2015 The Grid. The most important enabler of mass cycling, but a cycling concept which is often misunderstood.
- Apr 06, 2015 Edisonstraat in Hoogeveen. A road redesign which had fatal consequences. What lessons can be learnt ?
- Mar 09, 2015 Eliminating the risk of "Dooring": Good cycle infrastructure design keeps cyclists out of the door zone and saves lives
- Mar 03, 2015 London. 42 years behind and counting
- Feb 12, 2015 Street design hostile to cycling. Jan Fabriciusstraat in Assen is an example of a greater Dutch malaise
- Feb 10, 2015 The end of free car parking in Assen and how this has caused problems for cyclists
- Jan 28, 2015 Of six new bridges in Assen, three are only for cyclists and pedestrians. But they're not good enough. I'll only cheer about new infrastructure when it is an improvement.
- Jan 12, 2015 How poor design creates conflict: An inconvenient and dangerous junction in Assen.
- Dec 27, 2014 The devastating effect of Shared Space on the blind.
- Nov 23, 2014 Shared Use Paths create conflict and cause complaints about "speed"
- Nov 10, 2014 City centre streets. Perfect for children on their own bicycles, if the city is truly planned for cycling. Cargo bikes shouldn't be required.
- Oct 28, 2014 Why do cyclists fear being banned from busy roads ? Is it faster to cycle on roads than cycle-paths ? What really makes cycling safe and convenient for everyone ?
- Oct 18, 2014 Our streets are too narrow for cycle paths
- Oct 03, 2014 Trondheim in Norway. How an already successful city can increase cycling.
- Sep 08, 2014 Does free car parking make people drive cars ? Certainly not when there is a better alternative