Scow Moths at South Gippsland Classic Dinghy Regatta
As promised in a previous post, Andrew Chapman sent over a slew of photos from the 2016 Aussie Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta. Inverloch, where the regatta is held, is the home of the Australian scow Moth (Len Morris with his Olive - 1927) and at this year's regatta there was a good turnout in the scows.Andrew lists the scow Moths competing;The Moths are as follows:Phillip Johnson's ‘Frolic’ [was] built in the early 60s.Jim French’s ‘Skeeta’ [is] a 1965 boat. Jim is a fairly famous Moth builder and sailor and is the person who developed the scow on foils.My ‘Blondie’ - about early 60s or could be late 50s. The sail numbers do not necessarily indicate a clear progression in design.Jonathan Parise’s 1970s ‘Red’ is a winged Western Australian boat. A beautiful boat to sail and Jonathan is just learning to sail it and loving every minute.Mark’s [Rimington] Maggie, which you know a bit about.Graham Cooper’s unnamed boat that does not have a sail number. Its design is very similar to ‘Blondie’.Matt Kiely’s ‘Street Fighter’ which is another Western Australian boat. Like ‘Red’ it is very light and quick.The photos:Andrew Chapman's Blondie.Matt Kiely on Street Fighter.Maggie was featured in last year's Earwigoagin post on the Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta.Scows launching. The Mouldie in the foreground.The Mouldie or Peter Cole designed Mouldie. They were built with super-thin veneers and thousands of staples. The restoration of this one entailed regluing a fair amount of the veneer back in place.The Mouldie under sail. Look at that snout!The winged Red.Street Fighter rounding a mark.
Header Photo: South Gippsland Y.C. Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta
The previous header photo was of Australian sailing dinghies gathered on the beach for the 2015 South Gippsland Y.C. Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta. In the foreground we can see, from left to right, a Mirror, and two scow Moths. The 2016 Regatta was held this past January but I haven't received a report yet. When I do, hopefully I can post some photos.
Seen at the 2015 Annapolis Sailboat Show; The America's Cup
Oracle Team USA has been working steadily to bring the America's Cup to the attention of the masses. One part of that strategy is to publicly display the actual cup around the U.S. And there it was, tucked into a corner of the 2015 Annapolis Sailboat show, next to the old Fawcett building. As trophies go, impressive enough, very tall and ornate.After snapping a photo, I got a kick out of talking to one of the security contingent. He was dressed in a suit, sporting an ear bud, looking identical to the Secret Service, except for the white gloves. He was based out of San Francisco and when the America's Cup went out on the road, so did he. As security gigs go, this one didn't sound half bad.The security guys were amazingly tolerant about letting people close enough for group photos but physically touching the cup was a big no-no.The car behind the America's Cup was one of the fancy Tesla E-cars, Tesla being one of the sponsors of the America's Cup tour. I took a look and, compared to our known fossil fuel vehicles , the Tesla was somewhat topsy-turvy. The powertrain and batteries were well hidden, out of sight, the front hood opening up to another storage compartment. One got the impression that the Tesla ran on some magical ether it collected from the air.
- Feb 16, 2016 Lightweight Sharpie Fleet Turning the Corner
- Feb 14, 2016 Header Photo: South Gippsland Y.C. Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta
- Feb 13, 2016 Seen at the 2015 Annapolis Sailboat Show; The America's Cup
- Feb 11, 2016 Without an Instructor
- Feb 07, 2016 Vintage Photo of a Sneakbox and Catboat
- Jan 30, 2016 Seen at the 2015 Annapolis Sailboat Show: The Portland Pudgy dinghy
- Jan 29, 2016 Classic Moth New Builds - From Mid-Atlantic Musings
- Jan 28, 2016 Sketch of a Sandbagger
- Jan 26, 2016 Bit of Snow
- Jan 23, 2016 You Want Capsizes? - 12-Foot Skiff
- Jan 23, 2016 Header Photo: Bermuda Fitted Dinghy in the Drink
- Jan 20, 2016 Seen at the 2015 Annapolis Sailboat Show: The Small Cats
- Jan 16, 2016 Music Whenever; The Speakeasies Swing Band "Theme from Godfather"
- Jan 14, 2016 505 Dinghy and Annapolis 2017
- Jan 11, 2016 Peter Gilbert's Lark Scow Goes Racing
- Jan 09, 2016 The Dinghy "Gugh"
- Jan 08, 2016 Sutton Manor, New Rochelle - "America's Sailing Community"
- Jan 04, 2016 A Classic Moth Mistral Build in Russia
- Jan 03, 2016 Music Whenever: St. Paul and the Broken Bones "The River Song"
- Dec 31, 2015 L'Hermione Visits Annapolis
- Dec 30, 2015 Header Photo: The Tempo Scow
- Dec 26, 2015 Seen at the 2015 Annapolis Sailboat Show: the Scamp Mini-cruising Dinghy
- Dec 22, 2015 Krampus
- Dec 17, 2015 John Z's Mistral, Bend-em-Up, Stitch and Tape, Boat Building Instructions
- Dec 13, 2015 I Threw My Drysuit Away!