Burial at Sea in a Bed-Sheet? Really?
As part of a new exhibit, Rough Medicine: Life and Death in the Age of Sail, at the South Australia Maritime Museum, sail maker Don Lucas was asked to sew a shroud for a child, actually a child-sized manikin, fortunately, to … Continue reading →
The post Burial at Sea in a Bed-Sheet? Really? appeared first on Old Salt Blog.
Navy LCS Debacle Continues — Slow Motion Shipwreck
The Navy’s Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) USS Freedom, the first of her namesake class and one of two different LCS designs, was recently deployed to Singapore for ten months in order to demonstrate the capabilities of the ship described by … Continue reading →
The post Navy LCS Debacle Continues — Slow Motion Shipwreck appeared first on Old Salt Blog.
Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision
On January 9, 2013, we posted about the Seastreak Wall Street catamaran ferry, which slammed into a loading barge at Pier 11 in New York City’s East River in Lower Manhattan at 12 knots, injuring 80 of the 331 passengers and crew. The … Continue reading →
The post Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision appeared first on Old Salt Blog.
- Apr 10, 2014 Navy LCS Debacle Continues — Slow Motion Shipwreck
- Apr 10, 2014 Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision
- Apr 09, 2014 The Storm over ‘Rebel Heart’ — Blame the Parents, or Envy Them? or Both?
- Apr 08, 2014 An American Treasure — Fireboat John J. Harvey Returns to Hudson Pier 66
- Apr 07, 2014 Drydocking USS Slater, Last WWII Destroyer Escort Afloat
- Apr 06, 2014 Pararescuers & USS Vandergriff Rescue Sick One Year Old on Yacht Rebel Heart
- Apr 05, 2014 Bluenose II — No Way to Restore a Schooner
- Apr 04, 2014 Rare Total Lunar Eclipse Tetrad Beginning This Month Across US
- Apr 03, 2014 Cruiser Olympia Staying in Philadelphia
- Apr 02, 2014 Aquatic April Fool’s — Gulf Coast Manaphin
- Apr 01, 2014 Clipper Round the World Race — Dramatic Man-Overboard Rescue
- Mar 31, 2014 International Court of Justice Ends Japanese Antarctic Whaling
- Mar 31, 2014 Hobie Alter — Legendary Surfing and Sailing Innovator
- Mar 30, 2014 Sponges — Mother of Us All?
- Mar 29, 2014 Booze, Balconies and Falling Overboard from Cruise Ships
- Mar 28, 2014 Visiting Underwater Volcano Kick’em Jenny
- Mar 27, 2014 SSV Oliver Hazard Perry — “Building a War of 1812 Warship”
- Mar 26, 2014 Mock Iranian Carrier Claimed to Be Set for Movie About Downing of Iran Air Flight 655
- Mar 25, 2014 Finding Flight MH370 — Inmarsat, Haystacks, Satellites and Sextants
- Mar 24, 2014 Twenty Five Years Ago Today, Exxon Valdez Grounded in Prince Edward Sound
- Mar 23, 2014 Sylvia Earle — LEGO Aquanaut
- Mar 22, 2014 Iran’s Mysterious Fake Aircraft Carrier Barge
- Mar 21, 2014 Mapping 1,200 Years of Scottish Shipwrecks
- Mar 20, 2014 Mad as a Lighthouse Keeper — Not the Solitude, but the Mercury
- Mar 19, 2014 HMS Victory Paint-Scheme a “20th Century Invention”?