Batman vs. Superman: Hollywood Weighs In!
Literally all of your favorite people have been asked the question: Batman or Superman? Total Film has been asking the question at press junkets for a while now, and have answers from a variety of actors and directors. The fun bit is in seeing how they interpret the question. While some actors clearly think it means “Who would win in a fight?” (as the pro-Superman Peter Berg declares, “preposterous fight. It’s gonna be a massacre.”), many others take it as a question about the characters’ as individuals. Some vote for Batman because he chooses to fight for good despite a lack of supernatural powers.
[Click through for videos!]
In Part One, the actors kind of ignore the binary nature of the question—Harrison Ford votes for Lois Lane, Kat Dennings declares her allegiance to Marvel, and Natalie Portman chooses a certain Norse god. And then Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth end up arguing over whether Supes could take Thor in a fight. It’s all pretty delightful.
Part two features (among others) Richard Ayoade, Evangeline Lilly, Daniel Radcliffe, and Dane DeHaan. Plus Sylvester Stallone tells a sweet story about his Superman fandom, and Benedict Cumberbatch once again wins all the hearts by choosing Batman for all the right reasons. And Jesse Eisenberg—Lex Luthor himself!—explains that this very question has torn his family apart.
Disney and Del Rey Announce New “Unified Canon” for Upcoming Star Wars Expanded Universe Novels
The answer that Star Wars EU fans have been waiting for has finally arrived in the form of a press release from Disney and Del Rey. In it, they have explained their intentions with the future of Star Wars tie-in media and the future of the franchise.
From Del Rey's press release:
Going forward, Lucasfilm has begun mapping out the narrative future of Star Wars storytelling that will appear on film and television and in other media so that all projects will benefit from real-time collaboration and alignment. The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens.
"With the establishment of the Lucasfilm Story Group and our even greater focus on unified storytelling, we expect our entire publishing program to be stronger and more meaningful than ever before,” said Jeanne Mosure, senior vice president and group publisher, Disney Publishing Worldwide. “We’re extremely excited to kick off this new strategy with Del Rey Books.”
There are four new Expanded Universe Novels, set for release in late 2014/early 2015:
STAR WARS: A NEW DAWNJohn Jackson Miller9/2/2014
STAR WARS: TARKINJames Luceno11/4/14 STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDIKevin HearneJanuary 2015 STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITHPaul KempMarch 2015
These titles will be a part of the new publishing program that will keep in line with an Expanded Universe that plays alongside upcoming Star Wars films.
Former Expanded Universe content will remain in print and accessible under a brand new banner—Star Wars Legends.
In addition, it has been confirmed that content from the Star Wars Legends line will always be available to the writers of current Star Wars media for inspiration and usage.
According to Lucasfilm's press release on this change, the following content falls under the new unified canon:
Star Wars Episodes I-VI
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars Rebels (forthcoming)
It is unknown whether any of the Star Wars Legends tales (such as stories that occur before or during the films) will be retroactively considered canon under the unified banner.
Batman Vs. Superman Adds Cyborg to its League of Characters
Variety has scooped the casting of actor Ray Fisher as the character Cyborg in the upcoming Batman Vs. Superman movie. With Gal Gadot already announced as Wonder Woman, Fisher’s casting adds further weight to the film being a backdoor assembly piece for a Justice League film.
In the world of DC Comics, Victor Stone is turned into Cyborg by his own father, who was trying to save his son’s life after an accident at S.T.A.R. Labs left Victor mangled. In the recently rebooted version of the DC Universe, Cyborg is a key player in the eventual formation of the Justice League.
S.T.A.R. Labs was included as a worldbuilding Easter egg in Man of Steel, along with Lexcorp and Wayne Enterprises. In a special feature on the DVD release of the movie, Superman actor Henry Cavill commented that Cyborg “...would create an incredible bridge between superheroes and humanity.”
Will his origin remain the same, or will Cyborg become an unwilling pawn of Jesse Eisenberg’s Lexcorp? We’ll see in two years...
- Apr 25, 2014 Batman Vs. Superman Adds Cyborg to its League of Characters
- Apr 25, 2014 Rereading Joe Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy, Before They Are Hanged: “The Great Leveler”
- Apr 25, 2014 Spring 2014 Anime Preview: Now With More Robots
- Apr 25, 2014 A Dream of Caeli-Amur: Finding Unwrapped Sky
- Apr 25, 2014 Morning Roundup: This Stormtrooper Hates Sand Almost as Much as Anakin
- Apr 24, 2014 Gaming Roundup: Dragon Age: Inquisition Ignites the Skies on October 7
- Apr 24, 2014 How Not to Write for Both Children and Adults: Sylvie and Bruno
- Apr 24, 2014 The Light, the Heat of Joss Whedon’s In Your Eyes
- Apr 24, 2014 The Harry Potter Reread: The Philosopher’s Stone, Chapter 12
- Apr 24, 2014 The Best Star Wars Book, or the Best Star Wars Novel? Stackpole’s I, Jedi
- Apr 24, 2014 Morning Roundup Presents Avengers: Age of Selfies
- Apr 23, 2014 Weird Conspiracy on the Range: Peacemaker by Marianne de Pierres
- Apr 23, 2014 Too Much Love Will Kill You: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., “The Only Light in the Darkness”
- Apr 23, 2014 Looking For a Light at the End of GrimDark? Check Out These 13 Life-Affirming Fantasies
- Apr 23, 2014 The End of the End of Everything
- Apr 23, 2014 Jupiter War (Excerpt)
- Apr 23, 2014 Morning Roundup: Nana, Nana, Nana, Nana...
- Apr 23, 2014 Awards Dominate Eastercon
- Apr 23, 2014 More Than Thirty Years Later, Tom Doherty is Still Curating New Worlds
- Apr 22, 2014 Visit Neo-Hogwarts in Harry Potter’s Cyberpunk Adventure!
- Apr 22, 2014 The Wheel of Time Reread: A Memory of Light, Part 57
- Apr 22, 2014 The Serpent of Venice Sweepstakes!
- Apr 22, 2014 Don’t Worry—the Star Wars Expanded Universe is Not Going Away Because of Episode VII
- Apr 22, 2014 Rocket Talk, Episode 5: The Hugo Awards
- Apr 22, 2014 Post-Binary Gender in SF: Writing Without Revealing Gender