A blog about technology in educational institutions, written by Scott Mcleod, a distinguished Associate Professor of Educational Administration at Iowa State University. Witty, entertaining and enlightening all perfectly describe this blog that is an excellent resource for educators.
Project-based learning in Northwest Iowa
Many schools in Iowa are trying to find small chunks of time that allow students to engage in some inquiry- or project-based learning. These might be class-level projects, teacher-led exploratories, or student-led ‘genius hours.’ Several districts in Northwest Iowa are going beyond these smaller experiments, however. They’re carving out a couple of weeks for a [...]
Real projects. Real responsibility. Real contributions.
In 2009, the Blue Valley Schools in Kansas launched their Center for Advanced Professional Studies. Unlike traditional trade or vocational schools that historically have prepared students for ‘blue collar’ jobs, the CAPS model immerses students in ‘white collar’ professional settings. Looking for ways to provide high school students with authentic professional experiences, districts in other [...]
It’s too overwhelming
“The magnitude of all of this change… it’s too overwhelming.” Fair enough. I, too, often feel overwhelmed by it all. But are we going to hunker down and ignore it or lean into it and try to figure out how to adapt? Which one better serves the needs of our children? Image credit: Day 49 [...]
- Feb 16, 2016 Real projects. Real responsibility. Real contributions.
- Feb 01, 2016 There is genius around us – and within us
- Jan 28, 2016 Dabbawalas, tutorial networks, and the naysayers
- Jan 27, 2016 It’s too overwhelming
- Jan 21, 2016 Remember to disconnect. But also be connected.
- Jan 14, 2016 Is this what Iowa parents really want?
- Jan 06, 2016 This online high school is not going to change education
- Jan 05, 2016 Schools aren’t preparing freelancers and entrepreneurs
- Dec 17, 2015 Iowa school poverty and report card rankings
- Dec 16, 2015 Sioux City CSD has a different view than Governor Branstad
- Dec 01, 2015 East Campus: Uncovering the brilliance in every student
- Nov 23, 2015 How do communities define school success?
- Nov 22, 2015 Caring doesn’t scale. Scaling doesn’t care.
- Nov 21, 2015 Digital Leadership Daily: November 2016 update
- Nov 11, 2015 Things I wonder after reading Governor Terry Branstad’s recent comments on teacher leadership
- Nov 10, 2015 Why Ohio can’t reduce student testing load
- Nov 09, 2015 Peak indifference to surveillance
- Nov 05, 2015 Learners or memorizers
- Nov 01, 2015 My keynote for the 2015 K12 Online Conference
- Oct 30, 2015 Michael Bloomberg on testing
- Oct 13, 2015 Investing in leadership capacity: The amazing, wonderful District 59
- Oct 09, 2015 Some shout-outs this year
- Oct 06, 2015 It’s late 2015 and we’re still overblocking the Internet
- Sep 30, 2015 Are we turning off millenial employees?
- Sep 18, 2015 Time to find other employment