Russian Anti-LGBT Lawmaker Calls for 'Morality Police'
Vitaly Milonov, the lawmaker who wrote St. Petersburg, Russia's infamous ban on public displays of so-called "gay propaganda" that inspired Putin's nationwide law, is calling for the creation of a "morality police" force that would fine people for homosexuality, gambling, and other violations of so-called "traditional values."
Agence France-Presse reports:
Milonov proposed that the morality police be made up of "spiritually whole people belonging to traditional faiths for Russia, without rotten liberal values".
Their role would include protecting children from gays, he said.
"Children must be shielded from debauchery, propaganda of sodomy, asocial lifestyles and sects," he said.
Milonov said he had made the proposal in a letter to Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, suggesting that the morality police have powers including imposing fines and drawing up crime reports.
"Of course they should not replace the regular police, but they should have the right to issue fines and draw up crime reports according to local laws," he said.
Many are skeptical about the proposal's chances of passage, saying that the Putin government may be reluctant to involve itself once more in an LGBT-rights crackdown, given the international outcry that followed Russia's bans on so-called "gay propaganda" and gay adoption. But don't rule anything out -- if there's one thing we've learned in these months and years of watching Russia, it's that a policy that seems unthinkable one day might be adopted the next.
Stay tuned, folks.
Russian Anti-LGBT Lawmaker Calls for 'Morality Police' was originally published on The Bilerico Project by John M. Becker on April 6, 2014 3:00 PM.
Ethiopian Authorities Approve Major Anti-Gay Protest
Last week, officials in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa approved plans for a major anti-LGBT protest that will be held later this month.
The Huffington Post reports:
The Addis Ababa Youth Forum (AAYF), a group linked to the ruling party in Ethiopia, in collaboration with Weyneye Abune Teklehaimanot (WAT), an Ethiopian Orthodox Church association, will hold a protest "Against Foreign Culture and Homosexuality" on the 26 April from 8 to 11 am.
The organizers stated that the aim of the protest is to alert the government and society to the "severity" of the "homosexual agenda" in the country, so that the existing antigay laws can be tightened.
The Ethiopian Reporter also stated that government officials will join the protests and carry similar demonstrations throughout the country... Both AAYF and WAT have previously alleged that "sodomite violence that is being committed against minors." WAT has also previously produced a video alleging same-sex acts are linked to the advent of the anti-Christ and "the end of the world".
According to Daniel Berhane of the Horn Affairs blog this is part of anti LGBT measures and "gay-bashing rhetoric" that are on the way, in preparation to "the run up to the election next year." Addis Ababa municipality officers are also planning to provide anti-LGBT seminars to youth across the capital to provide "awareness" on "the dangers posed to children by homosexuality."
The linkage of LGBT issues to paedophilia has been recently stepped up in Ethiopia's press that frequently publishes interviews with Evangelical anti-gay preacher, Dr. Antonious Seyoum.
Consensual same-sex sexual activity is already illegal in Ethiopia and punishable by up to 15 years in prison; lawmakers are soon expected to pass a measure that would make gay sex a non-pardonable offense.
An astonishing 97% of Ethiopians believe homosexuality should be outlawed.
Ethiopian Authorities Approve Major Anti-Gay Protest was originally published on The Bilerico Project by John M. Becker on April 6, 2014 2:00 PM.
Theater Director Responds Perfectly to Anti-Gay Patron
It was supposed to be a routine performance of Deathtrap, a popular 1978 play by Ira Levin that holds the record for the longest-running comedy thriller on Broadway. The production, mounted by the Pioneer Theatre Company in Salt Lake City, Utah, has garnered favorable reviews and a strongly positive response from the community. But one patron was so upset that she grabbed her teenage son, left at intermission, and demanded a refund for the rest of the season.
Why was she so furious? Because the show contained a brief (3-4 seconds) same-sex kiss.
In an outraged, pearl-clutching letter to managing director Chris Lino, she wrote:
I am normally calm, mild-mannered, and don't get upset, but last night, at the close of the first act of Deathtrap, I was infuriated with the explicit, homosexual display on stage because I had brought my teenage son to see the seemingly innocuous play... I realize that, unfortunately, you feel you must appeal to an insignificant minority of patrons by offering "edgy" material. I regret that you feel that way...
It took all of my self-control as I fumed in my seat for the long minute before intermission. Why was brazen homosexual content not included in the advisory?
...When I inquired [at the ticket booth] as to why that content was left out of the advisory I was told that it would "ruin the plot." Ruin the plot?! You ruined my evening, ruined my trust in you, and you ruined the trust my son has in me to find worthwhile entertainment for him. I feel sick about tonight.
I am appalled that you could not have simply stated: homosexual content. I have NEVER been so disgusted and infuriated! I was livid. I know your ticket sales clerk and manager are not responsible, and they handled the situation well. I had read and reread the content advisory to make sure it would be suitable to have my teenage son attend. I anticipated that he would appreciate the suspense, intrigue, plot twists, and mystery. The decision on the theatre's part not to divulge repulsive content was irresponsible and negligent! You have that responsibility to your patrons.
Please refund my money for this last evening's performance... My real desire is that you could erase the images in my son's mind and in mine.
Lino's response, which the Pioneer Theatre Company posted to its Facebook page, is pitch perfect. It's after the jump.
Continue reading "Theater Director Responds Perfectly to Anti-Gay Patron "...
Theater Director Responds Perfectly to Anti-Gay Patron was originally published on The Bilerico Project by John M. Becker on April 6, 2014 1:00 PM.
- Apr 06, 2014 Kos: Mozilla CEO's Departure Was the Free Market at Work
- Apr 05, 2014 Breakups & Friendship [Picture Tells A Story]
- Apr 05, 2014 No Gay Animals on Noah's Ark
- Apr 05, 2014 Sexy Vampires, Honey Maid, and RuPaul's Drag Race [Weekly Reader]
- Apr 04, 2014 Florida Man Sets Fire to Home Because Lesbians Don't Deserve to Have Kids
- Apr 04, 2014 Meningitis Kills 3 LA Gays; Vaccinations Recommended
- Apr 04, 2014 UPDATED: Judge Will Strike Down Part of Ohio's Marriage Ban
- Apr 04, 2014 No, Andrew Sullivan, Calling Out Bigotry is Not 'Intolerance'
- Apr 04, 2014 Catholic Diocese Defends 'Masturbation Makes You Gay' Nun
- Apr 04, 2014 WSJ: Mozilla Debacle Shows That Marriage is a 'Bedrock Civil-Rights Issue'
- Apr 04, 2014 Jury Convicts Mom Who Killed Toddler Because She Thought He Was Gay
- Apr 03, 2014 MS Governor Signs 'Right to Discriminate' Bill Into Law
- Apr 03, 2014 Anti-Gay Scouting Group Also Excludes Jews
- Apr 03, 2014 Russian LGBTs Defy Law, Speak Out Against Bigotry
- Apr 03, 2014 BREAKING: Mozilla CEO Steps Down Over Prop 8 Support
- Apr 03, 2014 Arizona Senator to Newly Out Colleague: 'Act More Gay'
- Apr 03, 2014 BREAKING: Married Same-Sex Couples Now Qualify for Medicare
- Apr 03, 2014 Irish Gaelic Football Star Makes Gay-for-Pay Porn Videos
- Apr 03, 2014 AL House Demands Federal Anti-Marriage Amendment
- Apr 03, 2014 Mississippi Governor Will Sign 'Turn Away the Gay' Bill
- Apr 03, 2014 Bryan Fischer: Punish Adultery With 15 Years in Prison
- Apr 03, 2014 Tom Daley: 'I Am a Gay Man Now'
- Apr 03, 2014 Appleton Elects Wisconsin's First Openly Trans Official
- Apr 02, 2014 Nun Who Says Masturbation Makes You Gay Cancels Upcoming Speech
- Apr 02, 2014 When People With HIV Became Suicide Bombers