By: The Fine Art of Creating An Online Professional Presence | Exit, Pursued By A Bear
[…] Elia Lynda Kellam Emily Clasper Jessamyn West Andy Burkhardt Cathy Cranston Anne-Marie Deitering Ian Clark Jacob Berg Emily Drabinski Lauren Bradley Michelle Kraft Nina de Jesus Ruby Lavallee K.G. Schneider […]
Why I think we need to speak out against media assaults on public libraries
Another day, another attack in the media on public libraries. This time by Tim Worstall, fellow at the Adam Smith Institute (so you can pretty much already guess which line he will take), in an article provocatively titled “Close The Libraries And Buy Everyone An Amazon Kindle Unlimited Subscription“. I’m not going to dwell too [...]
How librarians enable neoliberalism and inequality, and what we can do to resist it
We live in an era dominated by the corrosive ideology of neoliberalism. Since the abandonment of the postwar settlement just over forty years ago, neoliberalism has become the dominant socio-economic ideology. The notion that an unconstrained private sector (via the profit motive and supposed greater efficiency) is best placed to deliver public service has been [...]
- Jul 04, 2014 Questioning professional vocabulary
- Jun 10, 2014 Q. Why does Francis Maude hate the elderly?
- May 21, 2014 My thoughts on Radical Librarian Collective, London
- May 08, 2014 Language, libraries and ‘The Market’
- Apr 23, 2014 The future for libraries across Europe against a backdrop of ‘austerity’
- Apr 22, 2014 Banning offensive materials in public libraries
- Mar 19, 2014 Is the neutrality of the internet under threat in Europe?
- Mar 18, 2014 Neoliberalism, language and ‘The Alternatives’
- Mar 11, 2014 Is there a class divide in reading habits?
- Feb 13, 2014 My challenge to experienced librarians: lobby for a better degree
- Feb 06, 2014 Are party political messages ever ok from government departments?
- Jan 28, 2014 The marketisation of higher education – a warning from Chile
- Jan 21, 2014 Internet access in prisons – a step too far?
- Jan 08, 2014 Libraries as a ‘holacracy’?
- Jan 07, 2014 Locked Twitter accounts – what’s the problem?
- Dec 19, 2013 An Age of Information for them, but what about us?
- Nov 07, 2013 Universal Jobmatch – “the system is hopelessly broken”
- Oct 25, 2013 Evading transparency – the privatisation of public services
- Oct 17, 2013 Cameron says “go online” if unhappy with energy price rises. 7m people say “huh?”
- Oct 15, 2013 Normal service has (sort of) resumed…
- Oct 09, 2013 Ok, something has gone a bit wrong here…
- Oct 04, 2013 Thoughts on Radical Library Camp
- Sep 19, 2013 A place for information professionals – we need a name!