Growing up in Mississippi, I learned early and well that home-baked food is an important part of our lives and culture. Whenever I made the short trip to my grandmother’s home, she always had something wonderful and warm from the oven waiting. Memories of my grandmother’s baking are always an inspiration for me when I preheat my ovens and set out butter to soften. After years of living in the South, Quinn, the cats, and I moved to New York City in the fall of 2010. You can see most of my baking (and sometimes breaking) exploits on these pages. Most of the baking is done in my kitchen at home, although I enjoy the chance to bake with friends when we travel. The photography is mostly done in or near my kitchen with natural lighting.
Apple Cranberry Crumb Pie
Making great pie crust eluded me for a long time. But finally I mustered up the determination to figure it out and make it work. Since then, I've actually come to love making pies, from mixing the wonderfully simple dough to rolling it out to filling it with something delicious.
Once I worked out my pie crust recipe, I stuck with it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it usually precludes me from trying other recipes and techniques. With the new book, Making Dough by Russell van Kraayenburg, I've been given a great excuse to explore pie dough all over again!
The book covers all kinds of dough, from pies to biscuits to puff pastry. I started with the pie dough, which differs from my go-to recipe in volume, types of flour, and ingredient ratios. The result was a thick, flaky, buttery pie crust.
To fill this beautiful crust, I went with a favorite flavor combination - apples and cranberries. The apples get cooked with a bit of brown sugar and spices, while the cranberries cook with some sugar and lemon. That creates two thickened fillings that are combined to make an irresistibly sweet and tart pie.
Now, I must warn you that while this isn't what I'd call a quick recipe, it's not difficult to make. A little multi-tasking will simplify things a bit. Once you get the apples cooking, start cooking the cranberries. They'll finish about the same time, and then you can make the crumb topping while the apples and cranberries cool.
The time you invest will be well worth it when you take that first bite of sweet, tart pie. It was love at first bite for both Quinn and me. I often like to top slices of pie with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, but we both preferred this one with nothing extra. It's so good on its own, that it doesn't need any help. Just grab a fork and enjoy!
[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:625] I was provided with a copy of Making Dough by Quirk Books. To see what some other bloggers are making with the doughs from the book, be sure to visit Quirk Books. All opinions written are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
The post Apple Cranberry Crumb Pie appeared first on Bake or Break.
40+ Twists on Pecan Pie
I adore pecan pie in most any form, and this collection certainly attests to that! Pecan pie is a classic dessert all on its own, but it also lends itself well to many variations. And that doesn't just stop with pie! Here you'll find delicious odes to pecan pie in the form of cakes, brownies, cheesecakes, muffins, and more from both Bake or Break and some of my favorite bloggers.
Get out your stash of pecans and get ready to bake!
1. Deep-Dish Pecan Pie from Bake or Break 2. Coffee Pecan Tart from Pastry Chef Online 3. Coconut Pecan Tarts from Bake or Break 4. Chocolate Drizzled Pecan Pie Bites from Nutmeg Nanny 5. Brown Butter Pecan Pie from Bake or Break 6. Deep Fried Pecan Pies from Southern Bite 7. Black Bottom Bourbon Pecan Pie from The View from Great Island 8. Rustic Ramekin Pecan Pies with Bourbon from Rachel Cooks 9. German Chocolate Pecan Pie from Chocolate Moosey 10. Salted Caramel Pecan Pie from Bake or Break 11. Chocolate Lovers Pecan Pie from Floating Kitchen 12. Caramel Pecan Hand Pies from Joanne Eats Well with Others 13. Chocolate Kahlua Pecan Pie from Chocolate, Chocolate, and More 14. Dark Chocolate Brownie Pecan Pie from Melanie Makes 15. Mini Pecan Pies from Bake or Break 16. Bacon Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie from Around My Family Table 17. Classic Pecan Pie from Bake or Break 18. Waffle Pecan Pie from Cupcake Project 19. Deep Dish Porter Pecan Pie from The Beeroness 20. Chocolate Gelt Pecan Pie from Kitchen Tested 21. Pecan Cheesecake Pie from Bake or Break
22. Pecan Pie Bars from Like Mother Like Daughter 23. Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars from Beyond Frosting 24. Pecan Pie Cupcakes from Bake or Break 25. Pecan Pie Brownie Bites from Baking a Moment 26. Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars from Bake or Break 27. Pecan Pie Crisp from Bake or Break 28. Caramel Pecan Bars from Bake or Break 29. Pumpkin Cake with Pecan Pie Glaze from Keep It Sweet Desserts 30. German Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars from Bake or Break 31. Pecan Pie Milkshakes from Floating Kitchen 32. Overnight Pecan Pie Oatmeal from I Heart Eating 33. Chocolate Pecan Pie Muffins from I Heart Eating 34. Pecan Pie Shortbread from The View from Great Island 35. Bourbon Pecan Pie Stuffed Baked Apples from bethcakes 36. Roasted Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Bites from Food Faith Fitness 37. Chocolate Tipped Pecan Bars from Donuts, Dresses and Dirt 38. Pecan Pie Granola from Barbara Bakes 39. Pecan Pie Smoked Porter Brownies from The Beeroness 40. Pecan Pie Blondies from Bakerita 41. Pecan Pie Coffee Cake from Bake or Break 42. Pecan Pie Cheesecake from Bake or Break
The post 40+ Twists on Pecan Pie appeared first on Bake or Break.
Parmesan Herb Batter Rolls
Baking with yeast is admittedly a bit out of my comfort zone. It's something I always say I'm going to work on improving, but I inevitably bake another batch of cookies or a pie instead. But I remain conflicted because I do love bread.
If you're not a big fan of yeast baking, then I am very happy to tell you that these yeast rolls are amazingly easy to make. And, best of all, they are wonderfully delicious!
As the name says, these rolls are made from a batter instead of a dough. Once it's mixed, you'll notice that it's thinner and pourable versus a regular bread dough. That makes it really simple and quick to divide the batter for your muffin pan.
The rolls are really tasty all on their own. There's lots of flavor with garlic and cheese mixed into the batter. But the best part is the topping. Spread on top of each roll is a fabulous mixture of cream cheese and Parmesan cheese, along with some herbs and spices. I could really just eat that mixture all on its own!
In the end, the rolls bake up nice and tall with a soft, light texture. And the flavor. Simply put, the flavor is amazing. They'd be the perfect companion for so many dinners. If you like, you can change the herbs and spices to complement your meal.
If you're less than confident in your yeast baking skills, these rolls are a perfect choice. They're so simple to make, require no kneading, and have wonderful flavor. If you're a yeast baking pro, then you'll still love this recipe for many of the same reasons. This one is earning a permanent spot in my recipe box!
The post Parmesan Herb Batter Rolls appeared first on Bake or Break.
- Nov 12, 2015 Apple Bourbon Clafoutis
- Nov 11, 2015 11 Tools for the Ultimate Cookie Swap
- Nov 09, 2015 Pecan Pie Crisp
- Nov 05, 2015 Brown Butter Chess Pie
- Nov 02, 2015 Cranberry White Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- Oct 29, 2015 Apple Crisp Bites
- Oct 26, 2015 Pound Cake Cookies
- Oct 22, 2015 Praline Sheet Cake
- Oct 19, 2015 Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Brownies
- Oct 15, 2015 Maple Date Bread Pudding
- Oct 12, 2015 Fudgy Nut Tart
- Oct 08, 2015 Turtle Tart
- Oct 05, 2015 Brown Butter Oatmeal Date Cookies with Maple Glaze
- Oct 01, 2015 Caramel Peanut Butter Brownie Pie
- Sep 28, 2015 Chocolate Hazelnut Swirl Blondies
- Sep 24, 2015 Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars
- Sep 23, 2015 Best Fall Baking Recipes: Apples and Pears
- Sep 21, 2015 Graham Cracker Apple Pear Cobbler
- Sep 17, 2015 Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Treats
- Sep 14, 2015 Pecan Spice Muffins
- Sep 10, 2015 Butterscotch Spice Poke Cake
- Sep 08, 2015 Chocolate Chip Ganache Blondies
- Sep 03, 2015 Cream Biscuits
- Aug 31, 2015 Frosted Oatmeal Bars
- Aug 27, 2015 Pistachio Pudding Bars