Playing the super-productive librarian. My #LISMentalHealth Week post
I know a lot of librarians who’ve suffered with depression or anxiety, take psychotropics, or who go to therapy. It makes me wonder if people with mental illness are drawn to librarianship in greater numbers than other professions. I was very happy — and a little trepidatious — when I saw that two fantastic librarians ...
Reputation is everything: On problematic editing and sponsored content
First, full disclosure: I am a columnist for American Libraries. They pay me to write columns every other month in which I state my opinion on various things relating somewhat to technology. What I’m writing here is my own opinion and represents me alone. As a professional librarian and a writer, I take my credibility ...
My year in reading, 2015
I’ve learned over time that work/life balance not only looks different for every person, but looks very different for an individual from one moment to the next. The needs you and your loved ones have and the things that give you the most pleasure can radically change over time. This year, I really tried to ...
- Nov 09, 2015 Should the horrible first job search be seen as a rite-of-passage?
- Oct 06, 2015 The Next Librarian of Congress?
- Sep 28, 2015 The insidious nature of “fit” in hiring and the workplace
- Jun 22, 2015 Are online MLIS degree-holders “less than?”
- Apr 13, 2015 Sinners, saints, and social media take-downs
- Mar 31, 2015 True confessions
- Mar 18, 2015 Read your contract: Being OA isn’t enough
- Feb 05, 2015 Framework? Standards? I’m keeping it local.
- Jan 27, 2015 Sorry Springshare, but also not sorry
- Jan 27, 2015 LibGuides, you’re not “Web 2.0″ without an open API
- Jan 06, 2015 Peer learning in library instruction
- Dec 29, 2014 My year in books
- Nov 17, 2014 A decade of blogging
- Nov 17, 2014 A weight off my shoulders
- Sep 26, 2014 Whistleblowers and what still isn’t transparent
- Sep 11, 2014 Living essentially
- Sep 03, 2014 Free and Cheap Technologies to Supercharge Your Teaching
- Aug 22, 2014 Reflections on library assessment and the Library Assessment Conference
- Jul 23, 2014 On tenure, after three years on the tenure track
- Jul 02, 2014 Taking a new path in a familiar place
- Jun 18, 2014 Is your big deal a good deal?
- May 13, 2014 We contain multitudes
- Mar 17, 2014 Come hear me talk assessment at a free C&RL online event
- Mar 03, 2014 Getting into the gray areas with the draft Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
- Feb 28, 2014 Library DIY infrastructure has been open sourced!