When, "I'm sorry" isn't an apology
When people say they are "sorry", but keep doing a hurtful behavior - they aren't sorry. I'm just saying... I see this a lot with antisocial folks. Since they feel no remorse, they can't really be sorry. But they say the words "I'm sorry" because they have learned are socially expected. So everyone says you should forgive them - because they said they were sorry. But you can't, can you? Because they haven't actually apologized, they've just mouthed the words. And because they keep hurting you. If someone says they're sorry, but continues to hit you in the head, how...
"Choosing" to be Happy
“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine Let me say up front that Pollyanna Sunshine advice to just "choose" to be happy can really be annoying. It is not meant for people who are seriously depressed. If someone is so depressed they are not functioning, are suicidal, are losing the will to live, or are psychotic - this advice is at best inappropriate, if not downright ludicrous. This article is meant as a cure-all for people struggling with life threatening depression. However, it is intended for people struggling with the negative thinking so prevalent in depression....
Playing Tetris: A cure for PTSD, food cravings, drug and sex addiction?
A recent article on a popular science cite suggests that playing the game of Tetris can help people who are struggling with symptoms of trauma (PTSD), food cravings, drug addiction or sex addition. Perhaps those "evil" video games can help us instead of hurt us?
- Oct 12, 2015 What They Say vs. What They Do
- Oct 08, 2015 The Healing Power of Animals
- Oct 05, 2015 The Advantages of Being the Scapegoat
- Oct 01, 2015 The Long Bag We Drag Behind Us
- Sep 30, 2015 Signs Someone is Passive Aggressive
- Sep 29, 2015 When someone shows you who they are...
- Sep 25, 2015 Always forgive your enemies...
- Sep 09, 2015 Longing for the "Good Old Days" in Mental Health
- Aug 11, 2015 Human Connection vs. Addiction
- Aug 06, 2015 Psychopaths, Autism, Empathy and Mirror Neurons
- Aug 03, 2015 Resentment is Like Drinking Poison
- Jul 30, 2015 On Tolerance
- Jul 27, 2015 How Could I Be So Stupid?
- Jul 23, 2015 The Drugging of Abused Children
- Jul 20, 2015 Antidepressants May Cause Depression?
- Jul 18, 2015 Learned Helplessness and Depression
- Jul 15, 2015 Narcissistic Rage: The Scorpion and the Frog
- Jul 12, 2015 Where the Practice of Medicine Fails
- Apr 29, 2014 Why Horses Make the Best Therapists
- Apr 29, 2014 When One Compliment Negates a Hundred Slights
- Apr 01, 2014 Why You Might Want to Stay in that Bad Relationship
- Mar 26, 2014 Whose Problem is It?
- Mar 22, 2014 Should Therapists Cry with a Client?
- Mar 19, 2014 Why Did You Pick Them?
- Jan 15, 2014 A few thoughts on the Kelly Thomas verdict